THE WORLD’S SMARTEST
- Lightweight, aerodynamic polycarbonate shell
- Ultra wide angle rearview camera
- DOT/ECE safety certification
- SKULLY anti-fog, anti-scratch, anti-glare E-Tint(R) visor
- SKULLY Synapse(TM) Vision Enhancement – shows true-to-life imaging of rearview panorama
- Audio/Visual GPS Navigation
- SKULLY Synapse(TM) Smart Heads up Display System with infinite focus
- SKULLY quick release chin strap and visor
- 3D laser-cut foam for a perfect fit
- Outlast(R) lining – reduces perspiration by 70%
- Bluetooth connectivity to smartphone
- Internet connectivity via smartphone
- Over-the-air updates – download new features as they are released
- Open SDK – develop your own apps for SKULLY Synapse(TM)
Image courtesy: GIZMODO
Chief Executive Officer, Chairman
Marcus attended the University of Minnesota, where he assisted research on Intelligent Transportation Systems and developed his lifelong passion for Human Factors Engineering and Industrial Psychology. After years of working in the automotive and semiconductor industries, a motorcycle accident inspired him to found SKULLY in 2013. Marcus holds a Ph.D. in Industrial Psychology and is a motorcycle fanatic with an obsession for human-centered technology and design.
Vice President, Business Operations
Mitchell has shared his brother’s passion for motorcycling since before he can remember. This same passion eventually led him to join SKULLY in 2013 after holding Director positions in human resources, operations, and materials logistics. Mitchell served in the US Army, holds a B.A. in Psychology from the University of Minnesota, and enjoys getting his hands dirty working on motorcycles and cars.
With over twenty years of combined riding experience, the Weller brothers are deeply passionate about enhancing motorcycle safety through technology.
SKULLY is shipping worldwide.
Sizes S-XXL in Matte Black or Gloss White.
Team SKULLY will email you after the campaign for size and color choices.
Questions and Answers
- PRE-ORDER (Where to pre-order the SKULLY AR-1)
- MORE FEATURES (Additional applications for the SKULLY AR-1)
- GPS & CELL SERVICE (GPS functionality without cellphone service)
- PRE-ORDERS OUTSIDE OF US (For those who live outside of the US)
- HELMET SIZES (Sizes and fit for the SKULLY AR-1)
- HUD IMAGES (What appears on the display)
- VISION OBSTRUCTION (Does the HUD block your view?)
- BATTERY LIFE (How long does it last)
- FOREIGN GPS (Will maps work on foreign roads?)
- REAR VIEW CAMERA (What does it see/do?)
- CAMERA POSITION (Can the camera angle be adjusted?)
- WATERPROOF (Is the helmet waterproof?)
- SAFETY (Is augmented reality in a helmet safe?)
- ROAD TESTING (Where has the helmet been tested?)
- ACCIDENTS (How to insure your SKULLY AR-1 against accident damage)
- BETA TESTING (Selections and on-going testing)
- INDIEGOGO (Why pre-order through Indiegogo?)
Where can I pre-order the SKULLY AR-1?
- The SKULLY AR-1 can be preordered on our website here (www.SKULLYSYSTEMS.com).
What’s your referral program?
- In a sentence: if you successfully refer 5 friends to pre-order a SKULLY AR-1, then we will refund the price of your pre-order! More details (including a how-to with pictures) is here: http://skullysystems.forumchitchat.com/post/sku…
How does the “$499 Now, $949 at Ship” deposit work for the referral program?
- The referral program still applies! Pre-order now with only a deposit, and refer friends with the share tools at the end of the checkout process. Read more about the referral program here.
When does the “$499 Now, $949 at Ship” batch of helmets ship?
- The SKULLY AR-1 will ship after the group of pre-orders who paid upfront. Estimated ship will be July 2015. A representative from Team SKULLY will contact you to collect the second payment before the AR-1 ships.
What about international shipping for the “$499 Now, $949 at Ship” SKULLY AR-1?
- There will be a fee of $99.99 to be collected at the time of the second payment. A representative from Team SKULLY will contact you to collect this second payment before the AR-1 ships.
Will SKULLY feature more applications than GPS, music, and a rear view camera feed?
- SKULLY will release an open SDK (software development kit) to accompany the beta units, allowing programmers to design apps that will work with SKULLY AR-1. The Skully software suite will expand on a rolling basis via OTA (over the air) updates.
Will GPS navigation work when I don’t have cellular service?
- Yes. SKULLY will feature on-board map storage as well as integrated bluetooth-enabled GPS map updates with traffic.
I live outside of the United States, can I pre-order a SKULLY AR-1?
- Yes. The SKULLY AR-1 will ship worldwide as a DOT/ECE approved helmet.
Does the SKULLY AR-1 come in my size?
- The SKULLY AR-1 is an intermediate oval head form and comes in sizes between Small and XXL. The fit shape is similar to a Shoei RF-1200 (see sizing chart below). The fit is snug. As part of our commitment to customer satisfaction, if you find the fit is a bit too large or small, we will send you one additional premium padding set free of charge to get the perfect fit.
SIZING CHART (approx.):
How much does the helmet weigh?
- A SKULLY AR-1 in size XXL weighs 1792 grams (3.95 lbs), or about the same as a modular helmet.
What appears on the heads-up display (HUD)?
- The display shows a rear view camera feed with a near 180 degree viewing angle. This means it not only sees what is behind you, but also what is in your left and right blind spots. The display also optionally shows turn by turn directions. These turn by turn icons are present only when needed, then automatically disappear when not in use. It also optionally, if supported by the motorcycle, may display vehicle telemetry such as speed, gear, tachometer, etc.
Will the Heads-Up Display obstruct my vision while riding?
- No. The transparent display is positioned outside the rider’s primary field of view and appears to float in the distance. This means you can see the road ahead without any obstruction from the display. This display system simplifies the riding experience because you no longer need to take your eyes off the road to see what is around you or to find your route. With our optical technology, the display is always in focus no matter where you look, allowing instant comprehension of the information.
What is infinite focus?
- Traditional focus requires the lens in your eye to adjust to the information you are trying to see. Infinite focus is when the optical system adjusts the light photons in the display so that they always appear in focus. Your eye “sees through” the display rather than looking at it, so you are able to see the display without your eyes needing to adjust. This allows you to see the display as an extension of your peripheral vision, so with a quick glance of your eye, you see everything instantly.
How long does the battery last?
- The battery life target is 9 hours of continuous use. Recharging the battery is easy and can be done using any standard micro-USB cable. This makes it easy for you to recharge no matter where you are.
Will the GPS function in Europe or other foreign roads?
- Yes, you will be able to download maps for most regions of the world. GPS satellites have worldwide coverage, and the SKULLY smartphone app automatically downloads maps for your region during initial setup.
What does the rear view camera see/do?
- The rear view camera has a near 180 degree viewing angle. This means it shows not only a rear view, but also eliminates blind spots on the left and right of the rider. SKULLY’s camera also takes this visual information and renders it in a way that is easy to see and understand on the display. This allows you to keep an eye on what is happening behind you without turning your head. It also allows you to monitor your blind spots without taking your eyes away from your direction of travel. This provides you with an unprecedented level of situational awareness.
Is the rear view camera adjustable for different riding positions?
- Yes, you are able to digitally adjust the camera angle using the SKULLY smartphone app for your specific riding position. Also the camera viewing angle is ultra wide, and ultra tall, meaning you should have no problem seeing around you.
Is it waterproof?
- The SKULLY AR-1 is highly weather resistant. Electronics are sealed and protected with special coatings and injection molded casings which keep the elements out.
Are Augmented Reality helmets safe?
- Research has long since shown that HUD, when properly implemented, can vastly improve the safety and situational awareness of drivers. SKULLY’s patented HUD solution allows you to keep your focus on the road ahead while maximizing 360 degree situational awareness. This means you can see more and react quicker, potentially avoiding danger before an accident occurs.
Has this been tested on the road?
- Yes, the SKULLY AR-1 has undergone extensive road testing, and will continue to be tested to ensure the highest quality, functionality, and safety.
What happens if I get into an accident with my SKULLY AR-1?
- If you are involved in an accident with your SKULLY AR-1, your insurance carrier may cover you for the cost of your AR-1. Reference your insurance policy to see if you are covered for Custom Parts and Equipment (CPE) coverage. For a definition of CPE coverage.
Is beta testing over? Have I been selected?
- All SKULLY beta testers have been selected and have already begun testing the SKULLY AR-1. Beta testing is an ongoing process, and will continue until the AR-1 ships.
Who managed your crowdfunding campaign?
- Verus Media, a boutique media company.
Why am I preordering through Indiegogo?
- Preordering through Indiegogo guarantees your helmet ships in 2015.
Why did SKULLY choose to crowdfund?
- Production of SKULLY AR-1 has already begun, and we are set to deliver in May 2015. Motorcycle helmets are a product that everyone is very particular about – with 5 sizes and 2 colors, we have 10 options to choose from. With such limited quantities being produced, pre-ordering through Indiegogo is the only way that riders can guarantee we will have your size and color for the upcoming 2015 riding season. The SKULLY AR-1 will not be sold in stores.
- Riders that pre-order AR-1 will get the chance to directly shape the product and the features that we develop. We will be working closely with our customers up to and after AR-1 ships to get their feedback which will guide the features that roll out during the riding season.